Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why Getting a Diagnosis Matters






I’ve been thinking a lot about why getting a diagnosis matters lately. Because many with Dysautonomia or other rarely diagnosed and invisible illnesses must go through months to years of appointments and testing to get a diagnosis, I have often wondered why we fight for one despite the constant obstacles and hurdles to obtain it. For many illnesses, especially rare and complicated ones, time to diagnosis is typically six years or more.

In 2011, I spent a year going through endless appointments and testing before I finally got diagnosed with POTS. I’ve spent most of the time since then going through endless appointments and testing to figure out what else is going wrong. Comorbities are common for Dysautonomia patients and they can spend years trying to obtain differential diagnoses. Never expect life to be easy, that's for sure!

I’ve mentioned before that about a year and a half ago I suddenly started having difficulty walking. I’ve gone from using a cane, to a walker, to now having to use my wheelchair if I leave house in that short amount of time. I am rarely able to leave the house at this point. Leaving the house is overrated anyway. Except, I miss it.

When I mentioned my walking issue to my doctor’s nurse practitioner when it started she basically told me I was imagining it. Invalidation all over again. So I tried to believe that for many months. But then I couldn’t get around and had to get a cane. I was continuing to lose my mobility rapidly. Hey, every 30 something goes through that difficult period of trying to figure out life while losing their mobility, right? Well, maybe not. I wasn't imagining this.

Having just one random illness no one has heard of is not a thing
I finally saw my neurologist this year. It had been two years between visits (the dude is popular and busy), and I told him what I was experiencing along with other disabling symptoms, he gave me a list of tests I would need to do. My heart sank. He was taking me more seriously but I knew all of those tests and appointments meant there would be no answers for at least another year. That was over seven months ago. I have only gotten progressively worse since then. My couch has a permanent Stefani shaped dent in it. 

While I fought to get the POTS diagnosis, I never dreamed of giving up. I'm in my fourth year of seeking a more complete diagnosis. The drive to give up has been surfacing from my subconscious, but that's not in my nature.

In one of the blood tests, I tested positive for an antibody for Myasthenia Gravis. Loss of mobility, weakness, difficulty breathing, and fatigue are signs of this autoimmune condition. In two weeks I do another test for MG. Maybe a diagnosis? My doctor had me start a medication last week that is used to treat this illness. But still, no official diagnosis. After all this time, will I finally know? But this led me to question why does a diagnosis matter? I am technically already being treated for this and have been learning how to cope with it, so why does the label matter?

Not many people want to be pigeon-holed and labeled. When you are desperately ill, that label is a like a trophy, engraved with the words "I Was Right!" Some never get a complete diagnosis and must suffer the costs of uncertainty long-term, but many of these patients still search for a label for their suffering. A label of an official diagnosis can matter for many reasons.


   Official Recognition and Documentation
Insurance companies and the medical system seem to operate in a very black and white world although there are some of us who live permanently in the grey area in between. There is nothing cut and dry about rare, complex conditions. Yet, a label and diagnosis fits into that tiny square in many medical forms titled “medical conditions" (good luck fitting more than one condition in that square). Having to list a grab bag of symptoms doesn’t seem to hold much weight in their world. Sometimes a grab bag of symptoms leads doctors or medical professionals to instead give a patient a psychiatric label such as “depressed” or “anxiety.” It’s easier than admitting they don’t know sometimes or investigating further. The irony is that depression and anxiety often are an effect of disabling symptoms met with invalidation, not the cause.

This is unfortunately incredibly common for many Dysautonomia patients. There can be serious ramifications from this invalidation. A lack of diagnosis could lead to patients not getting approved for a needed test or treatment option. It could mean a patient cannot get needed accommodations at work. It could impede accessibility to essential services for the chronically ill and disabled.

For those who are so disabled that they are unable to go to work or attend school, an official diagnosis could be a life line. This could help them qualify for disability or other types of assistance. For many, a diagnosis is essential for these practical concerns.

Often when you are chronically ill, you will encounter many doctors who do not know your medical history, you will have to fill out stacks of paperwork, and you will need to communicate to the medically uninitiated (such as employers, family members, etc) your needs. A diagnosis provides a concise explanation. 

Truth really is stranger than fiction. You can't make this stuff up. There’s nothing quite like having an entire Wikipedia page dedicated to your rare condition that you can direct them to when you have a diagnosis. The label leads to vital information and resources. It provides you with a prognosis and information to understand your body. A grab bag of symptoms rarely does. That leads to fruitless internet searches and typing into Google "am I dying?" The label can matter.
 
     Validation (Hey, I’m not just crazy!)
Finally leaving the inhospitable world of uncertainty behind for the more ordered, life-affirming nirvana of diagnosis gives patients validation, especially if they have been told they are wrong by many doctors. It lets patients at least take a break from the endless hamster wheel of diagnosis. This has practical financial, legal, and bureaucratic concerns as I mentioned above, but it also assuages the psyche of those who are desperately ill but have been denied proper care and treatment under the label of mental illness.

When I was finally diagnosed with POTS, I wanted to sing in the streets. Then I wanted to send the primary doctor I had who told me over and over “you’re just stressed” and ended up making me worse a flaming bag of dog poop. Ok, I won’t do that but I still think about it.

After being told by so many doctors that I was wrong, I was finally right. When you get a diagnosis, it's like reading a prequel to your life. The plot holes, disjointed timelines, and weird flashbacks of your story start to make sense.  I have learned that sometimes you will still encounter invalidation and continue to have to “prove” you are ill, yet you can wield a clinical diagnosis like a weapon against these forces. You aren’t wrong. You have proof. The label can matter. 

     Treatment
Perhaps most importantly, a diagnosis can lead to treatment options where there were none before. As with most rare conditions, no specific drug has been created to treat Dysautonomia and POTS as a whole, but there are drugs that treat symptoms such as Midodrine. Drugs are typically used off-label for Dysautonomia and POTS, such as Florinef (which was created for Addison’s Disease). The FDA did recently approve Droxidopa, an Orthostatic Hypotension drug.

It is difficult to treat a patient without a specific diagnosis, so finally getting that label gives a patient some options as opposed to few or none. Even with a probable diagnosis, you can have treatment options. For example, since my doctor suspects Myasthenia Gravis, I have started taking Mestonin and started physical therapy. Proper treatment can provide hope and can lead to a better quality of life. The label can matter.
 
 ***
HuffingtonPost posted an article listing other, innovative avenues for patients with complex conditions to pursue when you are trapped on the hamster wheel of diagnosis. POTS is even mentioned in the article, how about that! Depending on what happens over the next few months, I may pursue #3. 

I have been telling myself over the past year that perhaps a diagnosis doesn’t matter, but that’s the drive to give up talking. It does matter. The process to get there is painstaking to say the least but I have written before that there are ways to navigate it, which is here

Even if I also become one of those who must suffer a label-less existence, I know I'm not wrong, and that's what matters the most.

My last trip to Stanford Hospital. Keeping up the good fight

Why does getting a diagnosis matter or not matter to you?

3 comments:

  1. So many good points. I was told for 8 years that my condition cannot possibly cause the pain I live with every single day. That does something to you, you start to believe it. After I was finally diagnosed 3 years ago, it has still taken two more years to get proper treatment. The fact that I have a diagnosis lets me take back just a little of the power. It validated what I already knew... there is something wrong with my body and I need to take care of it. Now, I show up for appointments with a folder full of information about my condition and I've even succeeded in changing one doctors perspective. We just have to keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right and "power" is missing in my post. Diagnosis can be empowering. Pain is also invisible and hard to detect so I can only imagine how maddening it must be. I'm glad you finally have some answers and you can arm yourself with them against the onslaught of "it's all in your head" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the reasons a diagnosis is empowering is because we're so used to the invalidation and being written off as hysterical. It's crazy that just because some symptoms are subjective one is required to still somehow "prove" them to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!